Several payments startups that take the friction out of everyday activities like letting users split their tabs at bars (Dash) and finding urban parking - and paying for it - a breeze (Pango) highlight this week's Startup Roundup.
Venture funds showed a keen interest in consumer services over the past week. Among the startups receiving funding were Outfittery, a curated shopping service based in Germany that specializes in men's fashion, and RocksBox, a subscription-based service that acts like the Netflix of jewelry.
The amount of time that people spend on their mobile phones is directly proportional to the number of mobile players that receive funding for that "next big thing." Last week we saw quite a few pocket a few cool funding rounds, including BloomThat, a digital flower delivery business (just in time for Valentine's Day) and Donde, a mobile-based product-and brand-locator service.
Consumer-oriented services such as loyalty and gifting apps were among those to whom venture capitalists gave the most attention in the past week. These include Red Zebra, a loyalty app that syncs with a user's bank account to shape rewards based on spending habits, and Yiftee, a gifting app with a focus on local eCommerce.
Venture capital funds are betting big on up-and-coming digital services that appeal to consumers. At the top of the list is PricePanda, a price-comparison website that's aiming at an expansion in Southeast Asia, and Jelly, a crowdsourcing search engine established by Twitter co-founder Biz Stone.
Mobile, it seems, is where investors continue to place their bets. The past week in venture funding in the payments and commerce space has been a successful one for mobile-oriented startups. Top performers include Bluebox, which offers enterprise-level mobile-security solutions, and Jifiti, a white-label gifting app maker.
- E-commerce Startups Score Funding Successes 11 March 2014
- Store Shelves That Talk To Your Phone: Cool or Creepy? 10 March 2014
- Nasty Gal Moving From Online to “Real World 10 March 2014
- Lyft Going after $150 Million in Series D Financing 10 March 2014
- A Look At How E-Payments Got To Where It Is Today 10 March 2014
- Visa’s Pollitt: Regulatory Focus Globally Centered On Two Key Issues 10 March 2014
- India: The Next Frontier in eCommerce 07 March 2014
- Supply Networks Get Smarter with Ariba and SAP 11 March 2014
- Research and Markets: Managing Gift Card Operational Complexity and Enabling a Mobile Channel Platform 11 March 2014
- 2Checkout Offers Instant Underwriting for New U.S. Merchant Accounts 11 March 2014
- Research and Markets: Card Fraud Detection Software: Enterprise and Transaction Solutions Converge 11 March 2014
- Lincoln Financial Group Introduces Next Generation of Long Term Care Funding Solution, Lincoln MoneyGuard® II 11 March 2014
- “Dear Auto Industry: We Love Your Vehicles, but We Can’t Afford Them.”-- Gen Y - Strategic Vision Dispels Myths about Millennials and New Car Purchases 11 March 2014
- Live Webinar: “Accelerating the Web for the Internet of Things” -- KAAZING Chief Architect Todd Montgomery Joins Forrester Research Principal Analyst Jeffrey Hammond for Live Webinar 11 March 2014
- View More Headlines >
Monday, March 10, 2014
Today's Top Stories