Several payments startups that take the friction out of everyday activities like letting users split their tabs at bars (Dash) and finding urban parking - and paying for it - a breeze (Pango) highlight this week's Startup Roundup.
Venture funds showed a keen interest in consumer services over the past week. Among the startups receiving funding were Outfittery, a curated shopping service based in Germany that specializes in men's fashion, and RocksBox, a subscription-based service that acts like the Netflix of jewelry.
The amount of time that people spend on their mobile phones is directly proportional to the number of mobile players that receive funding for that "next big thing." Last week we saw quite a few pocket a few cool funding rounds, including BloomThat, a digital flower delivery business (just in time for Valentine's Day) and Donde, a mobile-based product-and brand-locator service.
Consumer-oriented services such as loyalty and gifting apps were among those to whom venture capitalists gave the most attention in the past week. These include Red Zebra, a loyalty app that syncs with a user's bank account to shape rewards based on spending habits, and Yiftee, a gifting app with a focus on local eCommerce.
Venture capital funds are betting big on up-and-coming digital services that appeal to consumers. At the top of the list is PricePanda, a price-comparison website that's aiming at an expansion in Southeast Asia, and Jelly, a crowdsourcing search engine established by Twitter co-founder Biz Stone.
Mobile, it seems, is where investors continue to place their bets. The past week in venture funding in the payments and commerce space has been a successful one for mobile-oriented startups. Top performers include Bluebox, which offers enterprise-level mobile-security solutions, and Jifiti, a white-label gifting app maker.
- LinkedIn Co-Founder Chooses Sides in Looming PayPal Proxy Fight 06 March 2014
- Payoneer Secures $25 Million In Funding 06 March 2014
- Ripple Launches New Developer Portal 06 March 2014
- Vitamin E-tailer Vitacost.com Mulls Sale 04 March 2014
- New Google Chrome Plugin Integrates Amazon, Dwolla 04 March 2014
- Home Depot Aims For eCommerce Strength With New U.S. Retail Chief 04 March 2014
- Startup Roundup: Who's Getting Funded? 04 March 2014
- TriCo Bancshares Announces Quarterly Cash Dividend 06 March 2014
- China Sees More Currency Volatility as Central Bank Seeks to Discourage Idea That Yuan is a “One-Way Trade,” Says Market Vectors’ Rodilosso 06 March 2014
- Hope LoanPort® Collaborates with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law 06 March 2014
- Wunderman’s Chris McLaren Shares Social Media Expertise at Conference Board Event 06 March 2014
- Fitch: Possible Restaurant Bankruptcies Show Industry Challenges 06 March 2014
- NanoSizeMe! SXSW Interactive Panels Hosted by Hill+Knowlton Strategies 06 March 2014
- TransAct Technologies Reports 2013 Fourth Quarter Revenue of $12.5 Million and Diluted EPS of $0.13 06 March 2014
- View More Headlines >