New York isn't alone in trying to ward off potential misuse of the growing array of virtual currencies forming and attracting the attention of miscreants - other states also are updating their money transmitter laws to bring them into the 21st century. But aren't FinCEN's actions calling for companies offering virtual currencies to comply with federal money transmitter laws enough?
Bitcoin's speculation bubble burst yesterday, as the world's most popular virtual currency saw a drop of more than $100 in value before stabilizing slightly late in the day Wednesday. What makes Bitcoin prone to such dramatic whims, and what can we expect to see from the decentralized money in the future?
Have you ever paid with Bitcoins? Most people haven't, but BitPay, a startup that seeks to do for the virtual currency what PayPal does for regular money, is looking to help Bitcoin become more mainstream. Fresh off of a $510,000 funding round, what does BitPay plan to with the backing, and how did WordPress' Bitcoin acceptance help the company?
Introducing Bitcoin Friday: an event mirroring Black Friday meant to increase Bitcoin awareness, engage in some image rehabilitation, and offer great deals for those already using Bitcoin as a currency. Read More
Say goodbye to Facebook Credits: the world’s largest social network has done away with its own virtual currency, and converted its users’ funds back to local currencies. Read More
HSBC expects virtual currencies to become a popular form of exchange in the near future, according to the Financial Review. Read More
- After Years Of Speculation, Bitcoins Inventor ID'd - Or Was He? 07 March 2014
- Guess Who? Bitcoin Inventor’s Identity Revealed 06 March 2014
- First Person: Boston’s Bitcoin ATM 06 March 2014
- Hacker Steals Mt. Gox Source Code, Customer Data 04 March 2014
- Mt. Gox To Establish Call Center 03 March 2014
- Mt. Gox Declares Bankruptcy As U.S. Leaders Sound Off On Bitcoin 28 February 2014
- Bitcoin Mining: The Basics 27 February 2014
- NPC International, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter Results 07 March 2014
- Fitch: Safeway Downgrade to 'B' Category Likely Upon Acquisition by Cerberus 07 March 2014
- DWS Municipal Income Trust and DWS Strategic Municipal Income Trust Announce Additional Ratings and Rating Agency Changes for Preferred Shares 07 March 2014
- The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc. Announces New Carson’s Clearance Center Opening 07 March 2014
- Switch Commerce Announces New Offices in Irving, TX 07 March 2014
- Stearns Lending, Inc. is America’s #1 Wholesale Lender in 2013 07 March 2014
- Citi Announces Increased Support for Vital Voices Global Partnership, Celebrates International Women’s Day Across the Globe 07 March 2014
- View More Headlines >
Friday, March 7, 2014
Today's Top Stories