New York isn't alone in trying to ward off potential misuse of the growing array of virtual currencies forming and attracting the attention of miscreants - other states also are updating their money transmitter laws to bring them into the 21st century. But aren't FinCEN's actions calling for companies offering virtual currencies to comply with federal money transmitter laws enough?
Bitcoin's speculation bubble burst yesterday, as the world's most popular virtual currency saw a drop of more than $100 in value before stabilizing slightly late in the day Wednesday. What makes Bitcoin prone to such dramatic whims, and what can we expect to see from the decentralized money in the future?
Have you ever paid with Bitcoins? Most people haven't, but BitPay, a startup that seeks to do for the virtual currency what PayPal does for regular money, is looking to help Bitcoin become more mainstream. Fresh off of a $510,000 funding round, what does BitPay plan to with the backing, and how did WordPress' Bitcoin acceptance help the company?
Introducing Bitcoin Friday: an event mirroring Black Friday meant to increase Bitcoin awareness, engage in some image rehabilitation, and offer great deals for those already using Bitcoin as a currency. Read More
Say goodbye to Facebook Credits: the world’s largest social network has done away with its own virtual currency, and converted its users’ funds back to local currencies. Read More
HSBC expects virtual currencies to become a popular form of exchange in the near future, according to the Financial Review. Read More
- After Years Of Speculation, Bitcoins Inventor ID'd - Or Was He? 07 March 2014
- Guess Who? Bitcoin Inventor’s Identity Revealed 06 March 2014
- First Person: Boston’s Bitcoin ATM 06 March 2014
- Hacker Steals Mt. Gox Source Code, Customer Data 04 March 2014
- Mt. Gox To Establish Call Center 03 March 2014
- Mt. Gox Declares Bankruptcy As U.S. Leaders Sound Off On Bitcoin 28 February 2014
- Bitcoin Mining: The Basics 27 February 2014
- Charles Schwab and J.P. Morgan Extend Agreement Giving Schwab Clients Access to Municipal and Corporate Bond Issues 07 March 2014
- IndexIQ Announces March 2014 M&A Deal Holdings in IQ Merger Arbitrage ETF (Ticker: MNA) 07 March 2014
- MoneyGram to Present at Upcoming Investor Conference 07 March 2014
- BBC AMERICA’s Orphan Black Joins Lineup of Hit Shows Available Exclusively on Prime Instant Video 07 March 2014
- Zya Launches #ZyaStar Contest, Inviting Players to Compete for Cash and a Major Label Record Deal 07 March 2014
- First Mortgage Corporation Hiring Amid Massive Industry Layoffs 07 March 2014
- Wells Fargo Expands Commercial Banking Operations in Baltimore 07 March 2014
- View More Headlines >
Friday, March 7, 2014
Today's Top Stories