While many consumers are turning to prepaid cards as a banking alternative, choosing the right provider for your needs can be overwhelming. A recent survey of prepaid debit cards breaks down the fees and looks to show how the market has changed - or in some cases, remained stagnant - over the past 12 months. How many cards charge a monthly fee and how many let you check your balance for free?
Market Platform Dynamics CEO Karen Webster spoke with Beth Horowitz, SVP, Global Marketing Solutions for Discover, about prepaid's ascent, and how Discover is taking advantage of the growing trend. What are some of the creative new ways in which prepaid is being offered?
Last week TSYS made headlines with the announcement of its acquisition of prepaid card provider NetSpend. MPD CEO Karen Websterspoke with Troy Woods, President and COO of TSYS, and Dan Henry, CEO of NetSpend, to find out more about what motivated the acquisition, what it means for TSYS to acquire a consumer brand, and what NetSpend will bring to TSYS' foothold on prepaid.
PYMNTS.com spoke with Patrice Peyret, Plastyc CEO, about Plastyc's unique approach to check deposits, the CFPB's interest in his company, and why prepaid accounts are taking the place of their traditional checking counterparts.
What do Justin Bieber, Suze Oreman and the Kardashians have in common? Well, probably more than we care to know about, but for the sake of payments, they all represent or own their own prepaid brands. Do celebrity endorsements really help advance prepaid card adoption? Would you pay more in monthly fees for Bieber branding?
How does Waspit's social integration attract users, and how is it looking to advance the NFC industry? PYMNTS.com spoke with Richard Steggall, Waspit's CEO, to learn.
Featured Reports - April
- UnionPay, Discover Launch Prepaid Card In U.S. 30 April 2013
- Virgin Australia Rolls Out Prepaid Visa Travel Money Card 22 April 2013
- Report: Fees Still Prevalent On Prepaid Cards 16 April 2013
- Justin Bieber Launches Teen-Targeted Prepaid Card 15 April 2013
- Prepaid’s Perfect Storm: Shifting Demographics 01 April 2013
- TSYS And NetSpend: An Alliance To Bring Them To The Top Of Prepaid 01 March 2013
- MasterCard, Chase Bank Partner For UNISCOO Prepaid Card 21 February 2013
- I Love Velvet Enters Asia Market to Offer Retailers Industry’s Most Secure MPOS Solution 22 May 2013
- Oaktree Capital Group, LLC Announces Pricing of Public Offering of Class A Units 22 May 2013
- Wells Fargo Advantage Closed-End Funds Declare Monthly and Quarterly Dividends 22 May 2013
- geo.to Announces New GeoSite Services to Mobilize Locations 22 May 2013
- ORBCOMM Wins 2013 CTIA E-Tech Award 22 May 2013
- NetSpend Holdings, Inc. Announces Order 22 May 2013
- Wells Fargo to Participate in the Deutsche Bank dbAccess Global Financial Services Investor Conference 22 May 2013
- View More Headlines >
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Today's Top Stories