While many consumers are turning to prepaid cards as a banking alternative, choosing the right provider for your needs can be overwhelming. A recent survey of prepaid debit cards breaks down the fees and looks to show how the market has changed - or in some cases, remained stagnant - over the past 12 months. How many cards charge a monthly fee and how many let you check your balance for free?
Market Platform Dynamics CEO Karen Webster spoke with Beth Horowitz, SVP, Global Marketing Solutions for Discover, about prepaid's ascent, and how Discover is taking advantage of the growing trend. What are some of the creative new ways in which prepaid is being offered?
Last week TSYS made headlines with the announcement of its acquisition of prepaid card provider NetSpend. MPD CEO Karen Websterspoke with Troy Woods, President and COO of TSYS, and Dan Henry, CEO of NetSpend, to find out more about what motivated the acquisition, what it means for TSYS to acquire a consumer brand, and what NetSpend will bring to TSYS' foothold on prepaid.
PYMNTS.com spoke with Patrice Peyret, Plastyc CEO, about Plastyc's unique approach to check deposits, the CFPB's interest in his company, and why prepaid accounts are taking the place of their traditional checking counterparts.
What do Justin Bieber, Suze Oreman and the Kardashians have in common? Well, probably more than we care to know about, but for the sake of payments, they all represent or own their own prepaid brands. Do celebrity endorsements really help advance prepaid card adoption? Would you pay more in monthly fees for Bieber branding?
How does Waspit's social integration attract users, and how is it looking to advance the NFC industry? PYMNTS.com spoke with Richard Steggall, Waspit's CEO, to learn.
- Simplifying Online Checkout: Are Biometric-Enabled Smartphones The Answer?
- A Token for Your Account: Security Solutions for Digital Commerce
- ACH at the POS: Smartphones Helping Bring Real-Time Value to Merchants
- Consumer Payment Trends in China 2013 Essentials
- Consumer Payment Trends in China 2013Q1 Final
- MPOS Tracker April 2013
- Merchant Acquiring: North America
- MPOS Tracker: A Monthly Update on the State of the Mobile Point of Sale, March 2013
- The Polish Contactless Payments Market. Issuance - Transactions
- The Contactless Payments in Poland. Market development – NFC technology
- The Global Contactless Payment Cards Market. Development, Opportunities and Perspectives
- i2c CEO: "Prepaid Products Target the Wrong Customers" 17 July 2013
- What TSYS And NetSpend Will Bring To Prepaid 08 July 2013
- MasterCard Debuts Cash Passport For Canadians 27 June 2013
- Green Dot Buys Walmart-Branded Prepaid Cards 11 June 2013
- UnionPay, Discover Launch Prepaid Card In U.S. 30 April 2013
- Virgin Australia Rolls Out Prepaid Visa Travel Money Card 22 April 2013
- Report: Fees Still Prevalent On Prepaid Cards 16 April 2013
- Ecwid Launches E-Commerce Store Builder in Brazil 12 December 2013
- Perella Weinberg Partners Asset Based Value Strategy Announces Sale of Flagship Rail Services to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation 12 December 2013
- Amazon Wine Announces 1¢ Shipping in Time for the Holiday Season 12 December 2013
- Case Closed: New Report Shows Consumers Have More Choices for Free Checking After Debit Reform 11 December 2013
- Anil Varghese Joins Targetbase as Chief Security Officer; Continues Targetbase’s Commitment to Information Security 11 December 2013
- Hyatt Honored as One of the Top 50 Best Places to Work in 2014 by Glassdoor in Annual Employees’ Choice Awards 11 December 2013
- Sound Shore Management, Inc. Introduces Institutional Class of the Sound Shore Fund 11 December 2013
- View More Headlines >
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Today's Top Stories