Subscription Commerce Conversion Index
This edition of the Subscription Commerce Conversion Index, a PYMNTS and Recurly collaboration, gauges subscribers’ experiences in accessing consumer retail products through subscription services. The survey results are based on input from 2,130 qualified respondents.
Key findings in the Index
- The average U.S. subscriber spends $464.81 on consumer retail product subscriptions for beauty products, clothing, fragrances and more each year.
- Over 85 percent of consumers that subscribe to bundled packages report being satisfied with their service.
- Amazon is the most popular subscription provider, with 45.5 percent of respondents indicating they are enrolled in some type of consumer retail product subscription through the company.
- Among those subscribed to consumer retail products, 20.1 percent plan to terminate their services in the next 12 months.
Subscription Commerce Conversion Index – August 2019
- 63.2: The average Index score of middle-performing subscription merchants in Q2 2019
- 8 percent: The share of streaming service subscribers who plan to end their accounts within a year
- 91.4: The highest individual merchant Index score measured in Q2 2019
Subscription Commerce Conversion Index – June 2019
- 22.8 percent:Share of consumers who cited affordability as their reason for planning to cancel their subscription in the next year
- $386.54: The average amount annually paid by online gaming subscribers who plan to terminate their services
- 62.4 percent: Share of consumers who believe subscription companies offered plan changes — while only 45.5 percent of companies actually did so
- 70.7 percent: Percentage of digital media consumers who plan to cancel their subscriptions within one year after just one month of service, compared to 52.5 percent of online gaming and 36.2 percent of streaming consumers
Subscription Commerce Conversion Index – January 2019
- 63.5: Average SCCI score in Q4 2018
- 5.3: Average number of payments accepted on a subscription platform in Q4 2018
- 146 seconds: Average time it took to complete a subscription in Q4 2018