Odds are you're familiar with Isis' value proposition by now, as the mobile wallet platform pushes loyalty and experience as two of NFC's biggest calling points. Does Isis' contactless vending machine partnership with Coca-Cola prove its point, and how consumers where Isis is live responding? How does Coke see mobile impacting its brand?
NFC technology is most commonly viewed as a vehicle for easier transactions within the payments space, but London-based Hoverkey is looking to create a whole new market for contactless technology: security. How does Hoverkey plan to use contactless cards to unlock sensitive apps, accounts and data, and why is their method more secure than password entry?
Disney made major headlines when its plans to institute the NFC-based MyMagic+ loyalty, payment and admission platform at its Florida theme park appeared in the New York Times earlier this month. They popped up in the news again when Rep. Ed Market (D-Mass.) sent a letter to Disney last week questioning privacy issues surrounding the platform, and citing possible "surreptitious use" of children's personal data. How did Disney CEO Bob Iger respond to the criticism?
Introducing PYMNTS Primer, a new series where we attempt to take the biggest topics in the industry and break them down for all to understand, or maybe just catch up on. First up in our series is NFC: a technology that some say is the future of payments and others say is merely a gimmick.
We've yet to see any groundbreaking payments news from CES 2013 yet, but one interesting revelation of note comes to us from Sony, which is launching full steam ahead with a new suite of NFC products. Will high-end NFC-equipped phones pose a viable threat to the iPhone?
A whole new world for NFC? That's what Disney is planning on, as they transition their Florida-based theme park into a contactless lover's delight. The MyMagic+ system will allow consumers to pay for food and goods, gain admittance and snag ride tickets through the tap of an NFC wristband, and should prove an interesting testing ground for the payments industry's most divisive technology. How much will Disney shell out to become NFC-friendly?
Featured Reports - April
- Starbucks Brings Swipeless Pay To UK 17 June 2013
- China UnionPay, China Mobile Launch NFC Payments Program 12 June 2013
- MasterCard Brings PayPass, NFC To Japan 07 June 2013
- Chungwha Reveals Combined NFC, QR Code Platform Test 09 May 2013
- Airplus Launches NFC Travel Expense Card Pilot 03 May 2013
- Nintendo Looks To Add NFC Payments To Wii U 29 April 2013
- PayByPhone Expands To NYC With NFC Parking Meters 15 April 2013
- Point B Inc. Launches Consulting and Capital Partnership with BusyLife Software 17 June 2013
- Davis Polk Welcomes Former FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz 17 June 2013
- International Financier Jim Rogers Joins Board of Directors of FAB Universal 17 June 2013
- Charter One Marks 50th Annual National Small Business Week with Simple Tips for Small Business Cash Management 17 June 2013
- 7 Tips for Improving Small Business Cash Flow 17 June 2013
- Smart and Sleek Home Robot Vacuum from Neato Robotics® to be Featured in Prefab Home at Dwell on Design 17 June 2013
- Ares Commercial Real Estate Corporation Announces Public Offering 17 June 2013
- View More Headlines >
Monday, June 17, 2013
Today's Top Stories