Odds are you're familiar with Isis' value proposition by now, as the mobile wallet platform pushes loyalty and experience as two of NFC's biggest calling points. Does Isis' contactless vending machine partnership with Coca-Cola prove its point, and how consumers where Isis is live responding? How does Coke see mobile impacting its brand?
NFC technology is most commonly viewed as a vehicle for easier transactions within the payments space, but London-based Hoverkey is looking to create a whole new market for contactless technology: security. How does Hoverkey plan to use contactless cards to unlock sensitive apps, accounts and data, and why is their method more secure than password entry?
Disney made major headlines when its plans to institute the NFC-based MyMagic+ loyalty, payment and admission platform at its Florida theme park appeared in the New York Times earlier this month. They popped up in the news again when Rep. Ed Market (D-Mass.) sent a letter to Disney last week questioning privacy issues surrounding the platform, and citing possible "surreptitious use" of children's personal data. How did Disney CEO Bob Iger respond to the criticism?
Introducing PYMNTS Primer, a new series where we attempt to take the biggest topics in the industry and break them down for all to understand, or maybe just catch up on. First up in our series is NFC: a technology that some say is the future of payments and others say is merely a gimmick.
We've yet to see any groundbreaking payments news from CES 2013 yet, but one interesting revelation of note comes to us from Sony, which is launching full steam ahead with a new suite of NFC products. Will high-end NFC-equipped phones pose a viable threat to the iPhone?
A whole new world for NFC? That's what Disney is planning on, as they transition their Florida-based theme park into a contactless lover's delight. The MyMagic+ system will allow consumers to pay for food and goods, gain admittance and snag ride tickets through the tap of an NFC wristband, and should prove an interesting testing ground for the payments industry's most divisive technology. How much will Disney shell out to become NFC-friendly?
Featured Reports - April
- Chungwha Reveals Combined NFC, QR Code Platform Test 09 May 2013
- Airplus Launches NFC Travel Expense Card Pilot 03 May 2013
- Nintendo Looks To Add NFC Payments To Wii U 29 April 2013
- PayByPhone Expands To NYC With NFC Parking Meters 15 April 2013
- Global NFC SIM Shipments Jump 6 Percent In 2012 12 April 2013
- HTC First With Facebook Home To Include NFC 08 April 2013
- Interac Helps Conduct First NFC Mobile Debit Transaction In Canada 29 March 2013
- NetSpend Holdings, Inc. Announces New Special Meeting Date 20 May 2013
- Wells Fargo & Company Declares Cash Dividends on Preferred Stock 20 May 2013
- RenaissanceRe Announces $275 Million Public Offering of 5.375% Series E Preference Shares 20 May 2013
- Treliant Risk Advisors Grows Mortgage and Risk Management Practices 20 May 2013
- Intuit Realigns Organization to Accelerate Growth 20 May 2013
- First Potomac Realty Trust Announces Public Offering of Common Shares 20 May 2013
- hhgregg Announces Fourth Fiscal Quarter and Full Year Operating Results and Issues Fiscal Year 2014 Guidance 20 May 2013
- View More Headlines >
Monday, May 20, 2013
Today's Top Stories