A PYMNTS Company

Netherlands: Master Blenders big coffee plans earn EC scrutiny

 |  December 15, 2014

The European Commission has launched an in-depth investigation into Master Blenders’ plans to acquire Mondelez International and form a coffee conglomerate to rival market leader Nestle, say reports.

The Commission said in an e-mailed statement that it will rule on the $5 billion acquisition by May 6. The case will focus on whether the deal will hike prices in key geographical markets.

Master Blenders, which was acquired by JAB Holding last year, for $9.3 billion, is looking to take on a 51 percent stake in the combined company, to be named Jacobs Douwe Egberts. Mondelez will retain the remaining 49 percent. The new company will be based in the Netherlands.

Full content: Bloomberg

Want more news? Subscribe to CPI’s free daily newsletter for more headlines and updates on antitrust developments around the world.