A PYMNTS Company

Paramount Wants States to Post $1.9 Billion Bond Over Warner Bros. Deal

 |  August 17, 2026
Paramount+, streaming, advertising

Paramount Skydance Corp. is asking a federal court to require the states and the Writers Guild of America challenging its Warner Bros. Discovery acquisition to post a bond of about $1.9 billion, escalating a legal fight that has put one of Hollywood’s largest media transactions on hold.

    Get the Full Story

    Complete the form to unlock this article and enjoy unlimited free access to all PYMNTS content — no additional logins required.

    yesSubscribe to our daily newsletter, PYMNTS Today.

    By completing this form, you agree to receive marketing communications from PYMNTS and to the sharing of your information with our sponsor, if applicable, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions.

    The request is intended to cover potential financial losses tied to the delay if Paramount ultimately prevails in the antitrust case, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The dispute adds a potentially significant financial dimension to a case already threatening to postpone the combination well into 2027.

    A coalition of 12 states led by California sued in July to stop Paramount’s acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery, arguing that combining the two entertainment companies would reduce competition in film distribution, big-budget movie releases and basic cable television, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The Writers Guild of America is also challenging the transaction.

    Paramount has rejected those antitrust arguments and maintains that the transaction is lawful and would strengthen competition. The company is now seeking financial protection against costs it says could accumulate while the deal remains blocked, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

    The stakes increase sharply this fall. Under the merger agreement, Paramount faces payments to Warner Bros. Discovery shareholders if the transaction remains unfinished beyond a contractual deadline. The Hollywood Reporter reported that those obligations are among the potential losses cited by Paramount in seeking the roughly $1.9 billion bond.

    The bond fight centers on a familiar issue in preliminary-injunction litigation: who bears the financial risk when a court prevents a transaction from proceeding before the underlying legal claims have been decided. Paramount’s position is that the parties seeking to keep the merger frozen should provide security against losses caused by that delay if their challenge ultimately fails, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

    The challengers have cast the case differently. California and the other states say their lawsuit is an enforcement action intended to protect competition and consumers rather than a private commercial dispute. A federal judge previously allowed the merger to remain blocked without requiring the states to provide comparable security, according to The Hollywood Reporter’s reporting on the case.

    Related: Paramount Floats CNN Sale as California Antitrust Fight Threatens Warner Bros Deal

    The states contend the combination would eliminate direct competition between Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery and give the merged company greater ability to raise prices or reduce output. Their case focuses in part on the companies’ positions in theatrical film distribution and cable programming, The Hollywood Reporter has reported. Paramount has said that assessment misreads both the entertainment market and antitrust law.

    The transaction has already traveled an unusually complicated path. Warner Bros. Discovery initially agreed to sell major assets to Netflix Inc. before Paramount emerged with a competing proposal that the Warner Bros. Discovery board ultimately deemed superior, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Paramount’s takeover later won overwhelming shareholder approval, though that vote did not eliminate the threat of litigation.

    The antitrust challenge became the most immediate obstacle in July, when the states sought emergency court intervention to prevent the companies from completing the merger. U.S. District Judge Araceli Martínez-Olguín subsequently imposed a temporary restraint on the transaction while considering the states’ claims, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

    The case is now headed toward a trial scheduled for March 2 through March 19, 2027, according to a separate Aug. 7 report by The Hollywood Reporter. Paramount said after the scheduling decision that it remained confident a trial would demonstrate that the transaction is legal and pro-competitive.

    The delay could prove costly even before the court decides whether the acquisition violates antitrust law. Paramount agreed to substantial protections for Warner Bros. Discovery investors as part of its effort to secure the company, meaning the passage of time itself carries financial consequences.

    That makes the fight over the bond more than a procedural dispute. If the court grants Paramount’s request, the states and other challengers could face a substantial financial condition for maintaining the block on the transaction. If the request is rejected, Paramount would continue carrying much of the economic risk associated with waiting for the antitrust case to reach trial.

    For now, the merger remains caught between two competing assessments of consolidation in Hollywood. Paramount argues that greater scale is necessary to compete in a media industry transformed by streaming and technology. The states say combining two major studios and television businesses would instead remove an important competitor and leave consumers and industry participants with fewer choices.

    The court’s handling of the bond request will determine who bears some of the financial cost of that disagreement while the larger antitrust question awaits trial.

    Source: The Hollywood Reporter