Retail

GameStop Makes eSports Push

GameStop

Amid efforts for reinvention in a changing environment for retail, GameStop is making a push for eSports. The moves include partnerships with North American eSports teams as well as clinics for gaming for amateur players, CNBC reported.

GameStop Chief Marketing Officer Frank Hamlin said, according to the outlet, “It’s no secret that eSports has evolved into a cultural phenomenon within the gaming community.” Hamlin continued, “As the place where video game culture comes to life in every neighborhood, GameStop is entering the space in a meaningful way to empower the amateur community.”

One initiative includes the formation of the GameStop Performance Center in Texas. The 11,000-square-foot location is said to share a location with the headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys and is expected to open in May. It will serve as headquarters for Complexity Gaming, which is a team that John Goff and Jerry Jones own for eSports.

Complexity Gaming Founder and CEO Jason Lake said, according to the report, that he believes “GameStop is synonymous with gaming in North America.” Lake noted, “From our perspective, they’re a better corporate partner as they’re a partner that’s been synonymous with gaming for so long.” The retailer is also said to be working to promote and establish tournaments as well as events with the Collegiate Star League.

According to Newzoo’s Global Games Market Report, “2.3 billion gamers across the globe [spent] $137.9 billion on games in 2018,” an increase in spending of some 13 percent compared to 2017. The report predicted “digital game revenues will take 91 percent of the global market with $125.3 billion.” In addition, the report revealed that the largest gaming segment stands to be mobile gaming. Revenue from that channel was estimated to be $70.3 billion in 2018, which was up almost 26 percent year over year. Smartphones were said to account for 80 percent of this, the report noted, with the remaining 20 percent coming from tablets.

——————————

NEW PYMNTS STUDY: LEVERAGING THE DIGITAL BANKING SHIFT – SEPTEMBER 2020  

The September 2020 Leveraging The Digital Banking Shift Study, PYMNTS examines consumers’ growing use of online and mobile tools to open and manage accounts as well as the factors that are paramount in building and maintaining trust in the current economic environment. The report is based on a survey of nearly 2,200 account-holding U.S. consumers.

TRENDING RIGHT NOW