The Gig Economy Index™, a Hyperwallet collaboration, is designed to better understand workers in the gig economy, people who often work in short-term, ad hoc positions — who they are, what services they supply and what percentage of their overall income the gigs represent.
Notable findings in the Q4 edition include the following:
- 38.4 percent: Share of non-seasonal gig workers
- 38.2 percent: Share of gig workers were paid via direct deposit
- 19.4 percent: Share of gig workers were not employed outside the gig economy
- 37.0 percent: Portion of gig workers who seek gigs for job flexibility
- 78.6 percent: Portion of gig workers who sourced their gigs via a digital marketplace
- 54.1 percent: Portion of gig workers who also had a full-time job