It seems like food chain Chipotle cannot catch a break.
Early last year, PYMNTS reported on accusations Chipotle’s food had taken a turn for the worst — making its customers sick courtesy of E. coli. And it seems, accusations of food poisoning is rearing their ugly head again.
The company’s shares dropped more than five percent earlier this week following the news breaking of a norovirus popping up at a Sterling, Virginia-based Chipotle location. Customers reported severe symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, nausea and dehydration, and there were two hospitalizations between July 14 and July 17 of this year.
It has been confirmed to have been an isolated incident and the location is back up and running. Chipotle’s executive director of food safety, Jim Marsden, commented on the situation.
“The reported symptoms are consistent with norovirus,” said Marsden. “Norovirus does not come from our food supply, and it is safe to eat at Chipotle.”