Banking

UK’s B-North To Launch SMB-Only Banks Next Year

uk-bank-b-north-smb

B-North has announced plans to open a network of small-business-only bank offices throughout the U.K. by the end of next year.

The “localized, office-based pods” as they are called will offer small business loans starting at £500,000 and going up to £5 million, as well as revolving credit facilities and buy-to-let finance. Manchester will be the location of the first B-North pod, followed by pods in Yorkshire, the Midlands and London in stage one, with another four locations planned for stage two. B-North is currently applying for a banking license.

The locations are strategic, according to the company, as the purpose of the pods is to house all the needed expertise, which would typically be centralized in a traditional banking system.

While loan requests with traditional banks can take between three and four months to be approved, B-North’s model will allow loans to be made to SMBs within 10 days through the use of cutting-edge data technology. Although local offices will be given autonomy to make lending decisions, bank officials will analyze data — including social media sentiment toward any borrower.

“Nobody likes to do things online only,” Jonathan Thompson, CEO and co-founder of B-North, said, according to Growth Business. “We see the human touch as key when making lending decisions, and we want [offices] to have that autonomy. On the other hand, we’re not shackled by legacy IT systems or legacy infrastructure.”

B-North predicts that 70 percent of its loan referrals will come via the financial broker network, with the remaining 30 percent generated from branch walk-ins. Once its banking license is approved, B-North plans to offer fixed-term bonds to private investors to raise capital to support its efforts. The startup has already raised £4.5 million in seed funding so far.

“There are 5.6 million small businesses operating in the U.K., comprising 61 percent of the U.K. workforce: that’s an integral part of the U.K. economy, which we anticipate will only increase as the U.K.’s relationship with the EU evolves and we become more reliant on ‘home-grown’ enterprise. The ‘Northern Powerhouse’ already contributes significantly and is an essential pat of the U.K.’s identity,” Thompson added.

——————————

LIVE PYMNTS ROUNDTABLE: MODERNIZING & SCALING FOR THE NEW NORMAL

The pressure on banks to modernize their payments capabilities to support initiatives such as ISO 20022 and instant/real time payments has been exacerbated by the emergence of COVID-19 and the compelling need to quickly scale operations due to the rapid growth of contactless payments, and subsequent increase in digitization. Given this new normal, the need for agility and optimization across the payments processing value chain is imperative.

TRENDING RIGHT NOW