It looks like Amazon got what it wanted for Christmas — more Prime members. In fact, the e-commerce leader got more than 10 million new prime members worldwide, the company announced Dec. 26.
On its 20th holiday season, Amazon also said its customers ordered more than 10 times as many items with same-day delivery than in 2013. Same-day delivery was one of the perks of Amazon Prime. Although Amazon keeps its specific sales figures and member numbers disclosed, its recent news announcement did indicate that Prime Now orders were being placed up until 10:24 p.m. on Christmas Eve and delivered roughly 30 minutes later. Amazon is also looking for ways to expand the service.
“We are working hard to make Prime even better and expanding the recently launched Prime Now to additional cities in 2015," CEO Jeff Bezos said in a company news release.
It's important to note that those 10 million new Prime members aren't paying members until the 30-day free trial is over. A year ago, Amazon announced had roughly 40-50 million Prime members globally, and 30-40 million in the U.S., according to Seeking Alpha.
Other relevant statistics released from Amazon this holiday season include:
- "Nearly 60 percent of Amazon.com customers shopped using a mobile device this holiday. Mobile shopping accelerated as customers got later into the shopping season."
- "Total holiday sales from the Amazon app for smartphones doubled in 2014 in the U.S."
- "16 times more Amazon customers shopped on smile.amazon.com than over the 2013 holiday season."
- "On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide ordered more than 18 toys per second from a mobile device."
Amazon also released its top holiday sellers on the site this season:
- Toy: Sparkle Princess Elsa Doll from the Walt Disney Co. movie “Frozen.”
- Camera: GoPro Inc.’s wearable video cameras
- Other Electronics: Samsung’s 32-inch LED TV and Chromebooks
- Book: “Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids” and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul”, while the top books for Kindle included “The Burning Room” and “Gone Girl”
- Movie DVD: “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Maleficent”
- Music CD: “That’s Christmas to Me” by Pentatonix and “1989″ by Taylor Swift
- Videogame: Activision Blizzard’s “Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare”
- Kitchen Item: Artisan Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set, Rubbermaid Food Storage Set and Cuisinart Griddler
- Apparel: Columbia Sportswear fleece jackets ranked among the top-selling apparel items for both men and women
- More “Frozen:” Other popular items from the movie included the “Frozen Karaoake” CD, watches based on the movie and even “Frozen” duct tape.